Temple Beth Sholom’s social action programs have focused on the needs of the hungry and of children in our community.
- We collect food during the year for the Hamden Food Bank.
- We serve meals at the Downtown Evening Soup Kitchen one Sunday a month.
- We have adopted a social worker at the Department of Children and meet her requests for beds, clothing, household items, school supplies, and holiday gifts.
- We provide fruit for the women living at New Haven Home Recovery, Inc.
- We participate in the Walk Against Hunger to raise funds for the Connecticut Food Bank.
- We also send Hanukkah gifts to Jewish men and women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.
This year we are planning additional projects. We want to help teens at a children’s home in Israel celebrate their bar or bat mitzvahs and prepare bag lunches to be distributed to the homeless in New Haven. We’d also like to develop a corps of volunteers who are available to provide rides and shopping for the elderly.
Interested in helping? Please contact Diane at SocialAction@tbshamden.com